Information for All Residents
Your home is important to you and Cowley RMO and Lambeth Home Ownership Department provide a range of services to you as one of our Homeowners.
The below pages hold all the information you need to know about your homes.
Request a Repair
Our Repair Standards
Cowley RMO staff aim to provide you with the best possible repairs service to your home and communal areas.
The repairs service forms part of your tenancy agreement and this charter contains clear information regarding the level of service you can expect from us.
Cowley value’s your opinion and strive to provide you with the best possible service, we can do this with your help. Please ensure that you complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey which will be presented to you by our operative upon completion of your repair.
How Our Staff or Contractors will Work in Your Home
- Have the appropriate qualifications and/or experience to execute the required work
- Be polite and courteous
- Show identification before entering your property
- Be clean and tidy
- Not to start work outside your property without letting you know
- Arrange appointments with you if access is required
- Keep safe all materials and equipment used
- Clear up after the work is complete
- Not to use audio equipment without your prior permission
- Not smoke in your property
- Use dust sheets and protective covers to protect your possessions
- Ensure that at the end of each day you have working gas, water, electrical, heating and cooking services or an alternative
- Respect your cultural priorities or personal circumstances
- Take meal and comfort breaks away from your property.
How to Request a Repair
- By telephone – On 0207 926 0690/ 0697
- In person – Please come into the estate housing office at, 147 Brixton Road, SW9 6LZ
- By Email firstname.lastname@example.org – Please remember to include your contact details
- For those with individual boilers/ heating systems – By contacting Smith and Byford – 0800 977 8607
- For those with communal boilers/ heating systems – By contacting Lambeth Council on 0207 926 1000
- For emergency/ suspected gas leak – By contacting Transco Ltd on 0800 111999
Cowley RMO is committed to providing a high quality estate cleaning service.
You can help us improve our service by:
- Reporting incidents to the estate office
- Telling us your concerns regarding the estate cleaning
- Showing consideration for your neighbours by disposing of your household rubbish in the steel bins provided
- Treating employees of the RMO the same way you wish to be treated
Our Estate Cleaning Commitments
- Litter and dog waste bins – Emptied at least once a week
- Bulk waste collection service – A full collection of bulky items dumped on the estate will be carried out twice per week, on a Tuesday and Thursday
- Human excrement – Will be cleared on the same day it is reported
- Dead Animals- Will be collected and disposed of on the same day they are reported.
- Dog Fouling -Will be removed on the same day the request is received
- Refuse Bins – Emptied three times a week. Bin chambers deep cleaned every three months
- Communal Balconies – Swept at least twice a week and washed at least once every six weeks
- Lift Lobby’s and London Electricity Board (LEB) cupboards on balconies – Will be cleaned at least annually
- Communal Stairs – Swept at least twice a week, mopped at least once every six weeks with communal window cleaning taking place quaterly
- Communal Walk Ways– Swept at least twice a week
- Graffiti – removed within 24 hours of being reported; offensive or racist graffiti removed the same day
- Abandoned Vehicles – Vehicles that do not pose any risk to the public will be removed within 7 days of being reported
- Hazardous Vehicles (for instance, those that are burnt out or in a dangerous position) will be removed within 24 hours of being reported
- Fly Tipping – Removed within 48 hours of being reported
- Trip Hazards – Hazards highlighted for repair and made safe the same day the request is received
- Spillages in Communal Areas – Removed the same day as reported
- Inspections – Property inspections will take place on a fortnightly basis; estate walkabouts held quarterly. All residents are invited to attend quarterly estate inspections.
- Grassed areas – Will be cut at least three times a month between April and September
- Abandoned vehicles that fail to comply with Cowley regulations will be removed, Cowley regulations include: Valid Road Tax, Up to date MOT or Valid Cowley resident’s or visitors permit.
Housing for Elderly Residents
I am retired and would like to move to a smaller home, what are my options?
- You may apply for a smaller property by registering for transfer.
- If you wish to exchange your home for a smaller one, you may be able to move under Lambeth’s Tenants Incentive Scheme (TIS). Residents who move under this scheme receive £500 for each room vacated. Please contact the estate office for further details.
- You may apply for sheltered housing. Sheltered housing is a specialist type of accommodation and service which enables older people to continue to enjoy life in the community as independently as possible, with the benefit of friendship, support and security.
If you would like to find out more about Lambeth’s sheltered accommodation scheme please contact the estate office.
I wish to remain in my home, what services can you provide?
Cowley RMO recognises that this is a long wait for many residents and has designated a limited resource to provide aids and adaptations to people to make living in their home much easier.
We can for examples; fix handrails to stairs and bath areas, erect access ramps, lower plug sockets, change tap heads. We can also provide competitive quotations to supply and install shower units. Please contact the estate office for further details.
Cowley and the Cloisters Elderly Group
The Cloisters is a secure residential home made up of 45 one bedroom flats which are tenanted by residents aged 55 and over. The Cloisters also offer a guess house that can be rented short term by the Cloisters resident’s friends and family members. Cowley ensures that The Cloisters are able to benefit from all of the services that we provide, this includes repairs and cleaning services, managing complaints and inclusion with all of our events.
Cowley Estate Pest Control service is completed annually by Pestforce Ltd.
The estate is covered by a block program which includes wasp nests, mice, rats and cockroaches. Pigeons or ants are not included in the program.
If you have a pest problem please contact the estate office on 020 7926 0690/0697, for further assistance.
If you have a pest problem please complete this form.
Cowley RMO operates estate parking regulations across the estate, this is managed and delivered by P4Parking.
All vehicles parked on Cowley Estate will need to display a valid parking permit. If you do not have the valid information required, you will be ticketed.
You are entitled to a resident permit for each vehicle registered at your Cowley Estate home address, up to a maximum of 2 vehicles.
Cowley Estate Parking
Each Cowley household is entitled to purchase a maximum of 50 visitors parking permits per financial year which runs from April 1st to March 31st the following year. Once you have exceeded the maximum amount of permits allowed, Cowley will not issue any additional visitors permits and you will need to find alternative parking for your visitors.
Visitors parking permits can be used only once and will become void if more than one date is displayed. We will not refund or replace such permits.
You can purchase up to 5 visitors parking permits at a time. Once you have purchased 30 visitors permits in a year, we will send you a letter to advice of this.
ALL residents are to attend the Cowley Office to purchase both visitors and resident parking permits as they will no longer be given to family members or friends, unless it has been discussed and agreed that a resident is unable to attend our office due to illness, disabilities or being over the age of 65.
Cowley would also like to add that both residents and visitors parking permits are only valid within the Cowley estate and not on the surrounding roads e.g. Vassal Road and Normandy Road. Therefore Cowley is not responsible for any penalty charge notices that are issued on any of the surrounding roads.
Residents parking permits
In order for Cowley to issue a residents parking permit, residents must first produce:
- A valid insurance document with the tenant as the named driver.
- A log book or V5 document displaying the Cowley address.
- Valid MOT that has at least 6 months ahead of the permit request date.
- Valid road tax that has at least 6 months ahead of the permit request date.
In the exceptional circumstances that a temporary residents’ permit is issued to a tenant i.e. renting a hire car for longer than 3 months, using a courtesy car or using a company car, all of the above is required along with a headed letter addressed to Cowley from the company that is providing the car giving confirmation of your use of the vehicle. The letter should also include:
- Your full name.
- Your address.
- Vehicle details.
- Duration of time for your use of the vehicle.
Please note that a maximum of 2 resident’s permits can be issued per household.
Elderly Residents Permits
The permit is issued to our elderly residents to give to their visitors to park on a temporary basis and to be returned back to the elderly person when the visit ends. The elderly residents’ permit is not to be used to park on a permanent basis and should not be stuck on the windscreen of vehicles in place of either resident or visitors permits.
Any residents, visitors or elderly permit that is issued and abused will result in the permit being revoked. This includes obstructive parking i.e. blocking entrance to the bike sheds, stairwells or bins, parking on the yellow hatch markings and parking in multiple bays.
Resident parking permit holders that use disabled bays must also display a valid disabled badge along with the residents permit.
Cowley hopes that this information is useful to all residents and are happy to answer any further questions. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Cowley RMO does not provide household contents insurance for its residents.
It is recommended that you arrange your own insurance. Lambeth Council does operate competitive insurance cover through Housing Insurance Services for both Tenants and Leaseholder’s.
For further information, please contact 01962 844 454.
Lambeth council is responsible for clearing the estate refuse. Our collections are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Please ensure you place your household waste in the steel bins provided and do not leave bags on communal walkways or outside the bin chambers, since this affects the appearance of the estate and creates more work for your caretakers.
Bulk Refuse collection
Bulk waste is collected on Tuesday and Thursday.
The bulk refuse is collected from the bin chamber areas throughout the estate. We would appreciate that all bulky items are placed for collection just before the tipper arrives on these days so the appearance of the estate is not affected.
If you require an item to be collected from your property, we do levy a charge of £10.00 per item. Special rates apply for residents who are elderly and/or disabled. Please contact the estate office for details.
All residents are encouraged to recycle their household waste as much as possible. There are number of green recycling bins situated throughout the estate so please ensure you make full use of them.
If you would like to recycle your waste but are unable to get to the recycle bins, please contact the estate office and we will be happy to assist. If you would like more information regarding recycling please contact the estate office.